Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bits and Bobs, p.s. I've missed you

I decided a few months ago that, because I had two manuscripts to complete as quickly as possible, if I was writing, it better be one of those manuscripts. And my blog plummeted on the priority list. However, dear ones, I failed to appreciate the outlet this blog is for me, both creative and constructive. So here I am again, without schedule or intent, just here because it feels good to be here. (And the manuscripts are almost done, so I don't feel too guilty.)

I'm finishing up an application to the Scientists and Engineers for America virtual internship in policy. It's due tomorrow, and I have no answer for the question that reads thusly:


4. This internship requires an ability to speak eloquently and impartially about controversial science, engineering and health issues during weekly conference calls. Please describe a previous situation where you accomplished this (subjects can be diverse, or non-science policy). 

Why can I not think of an example? I'm sure I have a good example, right? I'm totally eloquent! I've got eloquence coming out of my bottom! Anyway, I'm stuck. And I'm pretty sure I've not interpreted at least one of the other questions on the application correctly... and all of the biographies of previous interns talk about high political aspirations, of which I have none. I just want to talk to lots of scientists about all their crazy data, turn it into normal human language, and convey it to the political-type people so they can push for change from a more educated place than they were before. Yep. So if you need one of those... I'm just saying, I'm right here.

My F1 was home with an earache yesterday so I spent a little time editing, a little time playing blanket fort, and a little time reading whatever I wanted online, which has become a guilty pleasure of mine. Whatever I want? FOR 20 MINUTES? Why yes, gofugyourself.com, don't mind if I do. Anyway, I was reading about Neil Gaiman (really, I read whatever I want, it's great) and started reading his blog. And then I decided that I wanted to become a writer and marry him. When he writes about writing, it makes me want to write. It makes me think I have scintillating metaphors and whimsical prose somewhere in my heart, if only I would sit down and let it out. Well. You're reading my blog. My metaphors are readable, at best, and my prose is as whimsical as an extension cord. But he makes me BELIEVE. He makes me do SOMETHING, even if I don't do it well. And I appreciate that. Thanks, Neil Gaiman. Let's hang out together.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, good luck with your application. Had a quick look at the program ~ looks interesting. Wonder if they have an equivalent one in Canada...
    As for writing, you do it because you want to...need to write something other than tight academic writing. Me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science and engineering are some of the difficult subjects but hopefully you can be successful with the application. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete